- Hiring Organisation: Transnet Careers
- Vacant Position: Commodity Officer
- Job Location: Port of Ngqura, Eastern Cape
- Required Qualification: Relevant Qualification
- Salary: R 195000.00-465000.00 Yearly
- Last Date: 31/03/2023
Apply For Vacancies in Transnet as a Commodity Officer Job Role Which is Available For Port of Ngqura, Eastern Cape Location. Transnet has released a job notification On Their Official Careers website. To Comply with The position candidate need to have the required qualification as mentioned in the description of the official job portal. Apply as soon as possible before the job gets expired. For more government and private job vacancies in across South Africa Click Here.
This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
The closing date is on 02.03.2023. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email Transnet@tip-offs.com
Operating Division : Transnet NPA
Position Title : Commodity Officer
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Supply Chain
Location : Ngqura – HO
Reporting To : Commodity Manager
Grade Level : G
Reference Number : 10286971
To provide commercial leadership in the procurement team that is responsible for the development and implementation of
strategies (pertaining to both strategic and tactical commodity categories) and other initiatives in delivering procurement
savings and departmental targets. Overall, the Commodity Officer is responsible for ensuring the continuity and security of
supply of the right quality goods and services at competitive prices and at minimal contractual risk. The incumbent in this role
is required to:
- Conduct supplier commercial negotiations
- Run the tender process
- Establish supplier contracts
- Maintain and administer contracts pertaining to commodity categories.
- Communicate with internal customers to ensure clear understanding of their needs and technical specifications including
level of urgency as well as keep them updated on a regular basison the progress of their requirements
- Develop and maintain professional and co-operative relationships with both internal and external stakeholders to ensure
the optimum delivery of goods and services to Transnet HeadOffice with due consideration for time, cost quantity and quality.
- Assist with the implementation of efficiency improvement opportunities and cost reduction strategies to support customer
demands as well as sustain business continuity.
- Determine the most efficient and effective procurement mechanism for each commodity within area of responsibility to
meet Transnet Head Office business requirements and sourceappropriate suppliers to meet these needs.
- Ensure administrative functions to procure goods and services are correctly executed in accordance with approved
Business Critical Activities/Control Framework, approved CommercialFramework and Procure-to Pay (P2P) processes.
- Provide support and guidance to the rest of the buying team, ensuring compliance with relevant procedures and
regulations, and ensure that there is a gradual transfer of skills andknowledge. Demonstrable knowledge of the Transnet Procurement Procedures Manual (PPM) is imperative.
- Negotiate with suppliers, within mandate, on prices, terms, product specifications, delivery time, quality and quantity to
ensure the most efficient and effective delivery of goods andservices to Transnet Head Office.
- Ensure and apply proper tender processes, evaluation and adjudication of bids, and contract administration/management is
performed in compliance with standard procedures and relevant regulations and that there is effective and efficient deliveryof contracts.
- Ensure contracts are in place for strategic and high transactional tactical) commodities and manage contracts effectively.
Manage the process through the lifecycle of tendering, contractaward, SAP management and closeout.
- Monitor and ensure goods and services are delivered correctly, timeously and ensure that expediting and follow-up of
purchase orders are effected regularly or as required.
- Responsible for compiling and maintaining contract documentation as and when required as well as tracking and following
documentation through the contracting processes,including changes to contract terms, etc.
- Responsible for the management of Service Level Agreements (SLA’s) where applicable, as well as the regular tracking,
trending and reporting of supplier performance, including proposingrecommendations for any remedial action as necessary.
Qualifications & Experience:
Qualifications & Experience:
- Unless the applicant can demonstrate that he/she has developed the necessary competencies through experience, a
relevant Bachelor’s degree (Technical, Legal or Commercial), or
National Diploma or CIPS Level 4 is required.
- At least 3 -5 years’ experience in a supply chain function.
- Sound knowledge of Public Sector Supply Management legislation and regulations.
- In-depth knowledge of all BBBEE legislation and Regulations that affect procurement spend including but not limited to the
DTI Codes of good practice.
- In-depth understanding of BEE and SMME Lanscape in SA.
- Good understanding of negotiation techniques
- Basic understanding of Contract Law
- Thorough understanding of Transnet Procurement Procedures
- Sound knowledge of Supply Management processes and
- Understanding of technical and operational requirements of a business including capital requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Business acumen.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Communication skills.
- Strong ethical conduct.
- Influencing skills.
- Good understanding of BEE and SMME in SA.
- Strong negotiation abilities
- Attention to detail
- Time management – capable of meeting tight deadlines
- Facilitation and organising
- Responsible and accountable
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.transnet.net.